Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery Day

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Robotic Prostatectomy

This is part 4 in a series of articles dealing with prostate cancer and my first-hand experiences with receiving the diagnosis, pre-operative activities, the day of the surgery, and the post-operative recovery process.

I want others who have to deal with the reality of prostate cancer and ultimately prostate removal to understand what it entails. Hopefully these articles will make it easier and less mysterious to others who have to go through it.

Since my wife and I live about 2 hours from the hospital where the surgery (Robotic Prostatectomy) will take place, we rented a room for 2 nights at a motel close to the hospital. Yesterday, the day before the surgery, involved 2 appointments which were detailed in my previous article. After taking the Magnesium Citrate (which pretty much cleans you out), yesterday around 2:00PM it took about 2-3 hours to kick in. So after that, I was running to the bathroom almost every 30 – 60 minutes.

That pretty much lasted through the night until I woke up the next morning very early for the surgery. To be honest, I even went to the bathroom at the hospital after we arrived at 6AM. So, do not expect to get any real sleep the night before surgery but that’s OK, afterwards you will have plenty of time to rest.

In my pre-operative appointment the day before surgery I received a sheet detailing the steps I had to take in preparation of the surgery.

Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery Day Checklist

  • Arrive at the hospital at 6AM for the 7:30AM surgery.
  • Do not drink anything after midnight the night before.
  • Take my daily blood pressure medicine and acid reflux medicine as usual with the smallest sip of water.
  • Leave all jewelry, money, and anything of value at home.
  • Please shower on the morning of surgery but do not apply anything like deodorant, lotions, hair gel, after shave, etc after the shower.

On that morning, I made sure my wife and I both had our cell phone alarms set to wake up at approximately 4:30AM. I showered per the checklist and didn’t use any deodorant or hair gel after the shower. Since I was pretty weak from no real food the previous day and hardly any sleep, my wife drove me to the hospital even though I probably could have.

It was about 15 minutes from the motel and at that time of the morning there was essentially no real traffic. We got there about 5:45AM, checked in at the hospital front reception area and the receptionist directed us to the elevator to go up to the surgery reception area.

100 Questions & Answers about Prostate Cancer
When we got to the surgery reception area I checked in and the receptionist in this area had me on her list, which was good, but she didn’t have any of my wrist bands which they put on you at the beginning of the day. The wrist bands display your name, birth date, sex, age, hospital account number, and bar codes that are constantly scanned during the time you are in the hospital so that everything is tracked.

The fact that she didn’t have my wrist bands was a little disconcerting to me but I sat down and waited for her to go find them in the back somewhere. She came out shortly with them so that made my wife and I feel a little better.

Shortly thereafter she directed my wife and I to a pre-surgery hospital room where I removed my clothes and put on a johnny or a hospital gown. I wore my pajama bottoms slippers, and a shirt to the hospital that day because I knew I would be wearing loose clothes when I exited the hospital due to the Foley catheter being in place after the operation.

Shortly thereafter a nurse came into the room and introduced herself and told me she would be shaving my belly as a number of incisions would be made in my belly for the robotic arms to do their work. Four incisions were actually made for the robot and one was for a drainage tube that extended down into the prostate area. So, at this point, I have 5 incisions that are healing after the operation (seen below).

My Robotic Prostatectomy Incisions

Robotic Prostatectomy Incisions1
5 Incisions were made for the Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery
Robotic Prostatectomy Incisions
The incision furthest to the left is for a drainage tube which drains any excess blood from the surgery area. The longer one above my belly button is the incision from which my prostate was removed.

She used one of those small electric razors to shave my belly and there was no pain at all involved in this exercise. Soon after that an anesthesiologist came into the room and hooked me up with an IV solution and the intravenous started surging through my body. I was glad about this because at this point I was pretty dehydrated due to the lack of water since midnight the night before and the effects of the Magnesium Citrate that cleaned me out entirely.

Shortly after that my surgeon, Dr. John Munoz, who is a superstar in the area of robotic prostatectomy, came in and introduced himself to my wife as I had already met him about a month previously in an introductory meeting with him at his office. He pretty much gave us the lowdown of what would happen over the next few hours and after the operation.

I told him that my wife would be heading home since we had been away from home for a few days and he promised her that one of his nurses would give her a call during and after the procedure giving her updates. They kept their promise

I didn’t see any reason for my wife to wait around for me for many hours since I would be leaving the hospital the following day to go home anyway, assuming all went well. It worked out perfectly that my wife could go home since my in-laws are pretty much dependent on their children to help them out as they live nearby and need their help on a regular basis. My wife could also sleep in her own bed and wake up and pick me up at the hospital the next morning.

Soon afterwards my wife gave me a kiss and I was whisked away into the operating room. I hadn’t realized that by now there were meds already entering my body to put me asleep so I don’t remember a lot about what happened after that. One thing I do remember is looking to my left as they were moving me and saw my doctor putting on his mask getting ready for surgery. I waved to him but I don’t think he noticed me as he was busy getting ready for about a 3 hour surgery.

In the Operating Room there were about 4 nurses in there getting ready for the surgery. I spoke to them briefly and then I noticed the robot directly in front of me and I asked one of the nurses “Is that the robot?“. She responded, “It sure is”. And that was the last thing I remember and I was off into LA LA Land…

Here are some images from a great article located here.

Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery - Before and After
Before and After Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery
(image from

Robotic Prostatectomy - On Operating Table
Robotic Prostatectomy – On Operating Table
(Image from

When I woke up I was in my hospital room. Supposedly I was in the post-operating room for a while but don’t remember that. I only remember being in the hospital room that I ended up staying in for that day into the next morning.

I knew that before the operation, while I was asleep, they inserted a Foley catheter into my penis and I would have it inserted for about a week after the operation. I was really glad I wasn’t awake when it was inserted so that’s a plus! When I actually woke up and looked down I checked out the catheter since I was really curious about this as I never had to experience having one ever before in my past.

There wasn’t much to it and it didn’t hurt at all. There appeared to be a little bit of swelling in my penis area due to inserting the catheter and the actual operation but that was to be expected.

The rest of the day I wasn’t able to eat anything solid as my meals consisted of coffee (which I did not drink as my doctor said I should refrain from caffeine), and hot water with a chicken bouillon powder packet which I also didn’t consume. There were 2 different types of juice and a popsicle of some type which I did have. I drank a ton of ice water during the rest of the day as I was fairly parched after the operation.

I was also fairly nauseous (nothing major) as well which is why I just stuck with anything that I thought would stay down and they did. After a few hours the nausea abated and I was feeling pretty good. The most pain that I was feeling was from the incisions for the robot. I looked at them and I was told that they use sutures (which will disintegrate in time) in addition to some form of glue to close them.

So, the next time I write will be about my recovery in the days and weeks following my Robotic Prostatectomy surgery. I hope these articles help anyone going through this surgery.

Feel free to leave any questions or comments in the comment section below or contact me via my Contact Me page. I’d love to hear from anyone who has any questions or concerns. I know it’s a big deal and I’ve been where you are so please feel free to lean on me for any questions you may have.

Don’t miss the other parts in the series seen below:

Part 1: Prostate Cancer – Dealing with the Diagnosis

Part 2: Awaiting Prostate Cancer Surgery

Part 3: Pre-Operative Prostate Cancer Surgery Activities

Part 5: The Weeks Following Prostate Surgery

Here is a great resource and forum for anyone who wants any question answered about Prostate Cancer.

8 thoughts on “Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery Day”

    • Hi Charlie,
      That is the main reason I wrote the articles. I truly hope all goes well for you with your upcoming surgery. If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask. If you want the discussions to be of a more personal nature you are welcome to email me directly at or just leave any questions in the comments.

      All the best,

  1. Wow! what good info! I was diagnosed about 2-weeks ago, 12-samples, 8-positives, 1-suspect, & 3-benign. My doctor gave me the spill about 3-options: re-evaluate in 6-months, radiation, or surgery removal. I didn’t know much about this at the time & told the doctor if your asking me, I’m taking the easy road, see you in 6-months. & he accepted that & we were done. But I had those questions in my mind, did I make the right decision! I felt like I had unanswered questions & the time-line factor to meet & follow to stay ahead of the cancer. The doctor didn’t make me feel urgency is why I chose the easy road. After more thought, more learning, I’m going back to have that conversation again & plan on getting this procedure done. A little scarier to me because everyone I’ve talked to or read about has had less cancer samples than me. Thinking I need to go to MD Anderson instead of a outside hospital or clinic. any help or thoughts on that? & what about yyour recovery process? What type of rehab you have to go through to recover control of your bladder?

    • Hi,
      I responded to you privately in another email. Thanks for your comment. I’m glad the articles helped you and will help you as you get closer to surgery day. Please keep me posted!

  2. Thanks for creating your blog and sharing your information. It was helpful for me to read about your experience as I prepared for mine. I had my RALP on 2/9/21, so am approaching 4 weeks into recovery. Interesting that some parts of your journey are similar to mine, and some parts are different. I am in Santa Barbara, CA. Pre/post surgery alcohol and caffeine consumption were never mentioned (although I chose to abstain, to enhance my recovery), I didn’t go through the pre-surgery laxative “cleanse”, my belly button incision is oriented 90° to yours, and I went into the hospital at 5AM and was released at 4:30PM the same day. My catheter was removed on day 8, after a no-leak cystogram. The post-catheter incontinence sort of surprised me: I was dumbfounded that I couldn’t immediately find the muscles to control the flow. I knew it was going to be an issue, but still surprising to experience it and to feel so helpless. The incisions are healing, no complications so far, and the leakage is slowly dimensioning. I started physical therapy last week, to find/tone the right sphincter muscles. I look forward to resuming my active lifestyle, but I know it will be a process.

    • Hi Patrick,
      Thanks so much for your comment. I’m glad to hear that you are recovering well. Yes, the incontinence will improve. My brother had a tough go of it in comparison to me. His recovery was longer than mine. He is also 7 years older. Keep me posted when it comes to your recovery. I’m sure you’ll be back to normal in no time!

  3. My recovery so far hasn’t gone well. JP as of today, is scheduled to come out 42 days post surgery, Catheter 49 days post surgery. At the peak, JP had 1200 ml in 24 hours. Basically, I was leaking around the surgical site of the urethra and bladder. Surgeon, nor his head nurse were concerned, but it sure has been for me. I report JP and Cath numbers every single day.
    This is not a light weight surgeon, and actually had two friends that had successful surgery.
    An interesting point about my numbers. UoM medical won’t refer someone to Urology until PSA exceeds 6.0. I went from 1 to 3.5 to 6.0 in two years. We tested again, came back 5.7, six months later 6.0. I forced the issue and got a referral to Urology. Scheduled MRI, and results came back Gleason 7 (4+3). Biopsy, ALL samples came back positive for cancer, also ranked 4+3. Surgeon said after surgery, it’s the worst cancer that hasn’t spread that he has ever seen. Said it was so bad he could actually see the cancer. I was one of those exceptions to slow growing, mine was very fast growing and literally we caught it in time, but it lead to a much longer and tougher surgery. Point being, the numbers didn’t truly reflect how bad the cancer had gotten.
    Hoping stage 2 and stage 3 go a lot smoother.

    • Hi Phil,
      Thanks for your comment and your story. It sounds like you caught it just in time. My brother had a similar situation where his also hadn’t spread but could have if he hadn’t had the surgery when he did.
      I’ll be thinking of you and hoping all goes well from here on out. Please keep me updated.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Sign up for Updates

We respect your email privacy

Java Time

Most Popular Articles

Sign up for our Newsletter