If you happen to own a small animal, at one point you had to buy a cage. It took me a couple of tries before I purchased the right cage which ended up being the Prevue 528 Small Animal Cage. When I first purchased my hamster I purchased 2 CritterTrail cages and linked them together with a tube (you’ll see them below).
I quickly learned that the CritterTrail cages were not large enough for a Syrian hamster, even if they were linked together. Here is an image below of both of my CritterTrail cages on top of my current cage, the Prevue 528 Small Animal Cage.
As you can see above even with both CritterTrail cages attached they make up about half of the size of the Prevue 528 Small Animal Cage. I even created a youTube video telling the buyer to beware of using the CritterTrail line of cages. You can view that video here.
I purchased the Prevue 528 Small Animal Cage back in February of 2020 so I have used it for my hamster Cooty, for over a year. It is an excellent cage for a Syrian Hamster. I’ll go over the Pros and Cons below.
- Plenty of Space – 32.5” Long X 19.5 Wide X 17.5” High
- Two Large Doors – 12.5” Wide X 9” High
- Adjustable Platform – 12.25” Wide X 19.5” Long
- 3/8” Cage Spacing – Great for attaching accessories and safety
- Two Wire Handles – Great for transporting the cage
- 6” Deep of Hard Plastic – Provides room for a lot of bedding.
- Will fit through doors of a small car – Allows you to transport the cage so that your hamster will be in her typical habitat.
- Ramp – It’s a little to big to be usable and requires you to tilt the platform to unhook it.
- Clamp for Front Door – It’s almost like this clamp to secure the door was an afterthought and wasn’t engineered into the product originally. I think there could’ve been a better way to provide a latch for the doors.
Here is my YouTube video of the review.
If you currently have a hamster or small animal that is not in a big enough or functional cage, you may want to look into the Prevue 528 Small Animal Cage. If you have any questions or comments please leave them at the end of the video or here in the comments below. If you’d like to contact me directly please use my Contact Me page.